Re: How to submit large patch for xtensa-linux?

Roland McGrath wrote:
Code which is in the source tree has a higher probabilty of beeing
maintained and compatible with other changes, while sources stored
elsewhere will inevitably become out of date.

We have made the same observation. What this really means is that by
putting something in the main source tree, you can get the primary
maintainers to do a significant amount of maintenance for you. We know
we are suckers in this way, we can't help scouring around for bit rot
from time to time. But we are trying to stop being doormats for people
who don't want to maintain their contributions, and in fact wind up just
sucking our efforts without doing anything that helps our own lives.

If it's truly inevitable that sources stored elsewhere will become out
of date, that tells us that noone else claiming sole responsibility for
their work will actually maintain it with high quality efforts.  If that
were the case, it would be a very sad state for users of anything that
we few people don't happen to have chosen to work on.  Such an
inevitability just strikes me as implausible.  Code is well-supported
when there are developers who care enough to support it and users who
care enough to make sure someone has the resources to do so.  We are not
introducing barriers preventing someone from doing a good job, we are
just putting up barriers preventing people from enticing us into doing
their job for them as an inevitable part of doing a good job on what we
do focus on.  That's right, the problem is that Ulrich Drepper is too
giving and helpful a person and we have to protect him from himself.
Shocking but true.

I think you are reading the tea leaves incorrectly.

Changes are frequently made to glibc which are not architecture
specific.  This is the cause of significant amounts of bit rot in
architecture-dependant code, not the lazyness (or absence) of
architecture maintainers.

I have had the task of modifing architecture support patches for one
version of glibc so that they can be applied to a later version.  There
is a barrier which makes this much more difficult, and this barrier will
become higher as more architectures are moved off the mainstream.
This barrier is poor documentation for what changes were made and
how to apply them to other architectures.  One can review a patch
and try to translate the changes made to x86 or ppc into changes for
another architecture, but that can be difficult and unclear.

No one is trying to slough work off on the core maintainers.  They
have plenty to do and it is appreciated.  On the other hand, generic
modifications place a burden on the people who support individual
architectures.

I think that there has to be a better method of ensuring that
architectures are supported rather than the kludge (IMO) of using
add-on and separate files which are not distributed with the core
sources.  My preference is to have sources integrated into the
source tree.  An "add-on" would be my last choice.  If it were a
choice between distributing a patch to glibc which had the same
source file organization versus a patch which created an "add-on"
with a different file organization, my preference would be for the
former.

--
Michael Eager     eager@mvista.com	408-328-8426
MontaVista Software, Inc. 1237 E. Arques Ave., Sunnyvale, CA  94085