Re: [patch] Matsushita AM33/2.0 port

On Jun 18, 2004, Roland McGrath <roland@redhat.com> wrote:

>> My main concerns were technical ones
> These are exactly the things I'd like to get fixed.

>> - getting ports to be able to set things up early enough in the
>> top-level configuration process.  add-ons' configure bits don't get
>> run early enough.

> Please be specific.  Which port-specific work do you need configure to do?
> All I know of is the base_machine/base_os setup.

This is exactly what I had in mind.

> I think we can replace that hard-coded stuff with a table of
> patterns in a file, and then have configure use the union of files
> from all add-ons.

How would this work for mips64*-linux, for example?

A configure-let script would address both this issue and that of
automatic add-ons.  We just need a convention on where these files
should be placed and how they should be named.

>> of it.  The main stumbling block here are inter-port dependencies,
>> like the common use of #include <sysdeps/.../linux/i386/*.c> in
>> several ports.

> That is a reasonable concern.  When any existing port is moved out of the
> core, we will be sure to test building all remaining ports still in the
> core with no add-on ports present.

Excellent.  It's a bit sad that add-on ports won't be able to use
common bits from each other, but I guess this is something we'll just
have to live with.