Re: [patch] mremap

At Mon, 08 Nov 2004 06:18:37 -0800,
Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com> wrote:

> Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > 	* sysdeps/gnu/_G_config.h: Move to ...
> > 	* sysdeps/mach/hurd/_G_config.h: ... here.
> > 	* sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/_G_config.h: New file.
>
> This patch is wrong according to what you say.  Why move the _G_config.h
> file back to a Linux-specific directory if the goal is to add the
> functionality and then have the same file again?  Instead create the
> Hurd specific file in a place where it is found first and be done with
> it.  Later, when the Hurd-specific changes are not needed anymore, that
> file can be removed again.

Well, it depends on what the future brings.  If it is fine to have a
file that is not actually shared in sysdeps/gnu, then leaving it there
and adding just the Hurd specific override is good enough for me (and
this was in fact how my first version of the patch looked).

But, what I am working on is not yet the official future of the Hurd,
and I am not the one to decide if mremap should be considered a GNU
feature or a Linux feature only (which might or might not available on
other systems).  Is it reasonable to expect it in a GNU system?  I'm
not sure which criteria should be applied to answer that question.  It
seems generic and desirable enough to me, at least.

The only part of this patch I really care about is the change to
libio/fileops.c, naturally.

Do you want another patch that does what you suggest?

Thanks,
Marcus