Re: Glibc 2.3.3 ported to Syllable

On Tuesday 16 November 2004 9:21 am, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> Kristian Van Der Vliet wrote:
>> Like I say, there are changes in various Makefiles and configure scripts
>> which are outside of the Syllable sysdeps stuff.
>
> If this is necessary, your code is buggy or incomplete.

Not at all.  It is impossible to build Glibc as it is currently on any host
systems without implicit checks.  The patches for Syllable simply extend
those checks to include some things which are specific to Syllable.
Certainly a port of Glibc to a new OS is surely always going to be more
intrusive than a port of Linux to a new architecture.

It may well be that the add-on ports functionality is so perfect that I can
support and entirely new Operating System with no changes at all to any of
the current configure scripts or Makefiles but I suspect that is not the
case.  For example the changes which are required for ELF on Syllable are
extensive and certainly outside the scope of anything I can do inside of
sysdeps, certainly I haven't found a way to do it yet without modifying the
Makefiles directly to include conditional code blocks.

As I have not yet attempted to rework the port as an add-on I can't say what
is necasery just yet so there is little need in arguing the point any
further.

--
Vanders
http://syllable.sourceforge.net/