Branches in CVS repository?

The GCC project allows anyone with write privileges to create branches
in the CVS repository for aribtrary purposes, provided that the usual
guidelines regarding copyrights are followed.  A typical use of these
branches is for distributors to created branches to use for releases,
or for developers to perform experiments.  It's an effective way of
making more information available to people without getting in the way
of the mainline development.

Does the same policy apply to GLIBC and/or Binutils?  If not, could it
be considered?

My particular motivation in this case is the former issue; I would
like to create a branch for a customer release; the branch would
contain backports of patches that apply to this particular customer.
So, if the general policy does not apply, is it permissible for me to
create this particular branch?

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC