Re: Branches in CVS repository?

Hi Ian, Hi Mark,

The GCC project allows anyone with write privileges to create branches
in the CVS repository for aribtrary purposes, provided that the usual
guidelines regarding copyrights are followed.  A typical use of these
branches is for distributors to created branches to use for releases,
or for developers to perform experiments.  It's an effective way of
making more information available to people without getting in the way
of the mainline development.

Does the same policy apply to GLIBC and/or Binutils?  If not, could it
be considered?

I don't think that the binutils group has ever developed a plan for
branches.  I don't think anybody has ever wanted to make a binutils
branch other than the ones we make for releases.

Personally I think it is perfectly reasonable to follow the gcc
approach: anybody with write privileges can create a branch, but all
commits to that branch require a copyright assignment just as with all
commits to mainline.

Nick, Alan, any thoughts on this?

I agree. I can no reason to block this kind of behaviour and good reasons to encourage it. So yes, I think that Mark should go ahead and create his branch. In fact if he would like to propose a paragraph to be added to binutils/MAINTAINERS that we be welcome as well.

Cheers
  Nick