Re: forestalling GNU incompatibility - proposal for binary relative dynamic linking

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:56:06 -0800, Edward Peschko wrote:
> So - there is work being done to be able to swap between two kernels,
> why not two glibcs? I'm open to other ideas aside from mine..

Developers can use the "apbuild" tool to produce binaries on newer systems
that are binary compatible with older systems (glibc/gcc mostly). It's
been tested in the field and works well for a large class of applications,
as long as you know what you're doing. Maybe something like this is what
you want? It works like so:

CC=apgcc CXX=apg++ ./configure

I'm sure the glibc team won't be too impressed with how it works, but it
does.

thanks -mike