nptl_version symbol

Hi All,

gdbserver uses the symbol nptl_version symbol for confirming the consistency
of libthread_db from gdbserver and libpthread from an application being used.
We are using a setup where libpthread is stripped of all debug information by
using "objcopy -g".  nptl_version symbol is not exported by glibc, so it
doesn't appear in libpthread. This causes debugging to fail.

We then changed glibc to export nptl_version symbol from "nptl/Versions" and
things worked fine.

I believe this will be true in general for any application that uses
libthread_db.

A search of libc-alpha mailing list shows that no one has reported this
problem earlier. Could glibc gurus comment on whether this change is the
right thing to do? If not, any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
--
Amit Kale
LinSysSoft Technologies (http://www.linsyssoft.com)