Re: ld-linux.so.2 cannot process libpthread.so.0

On 12/6/05, Nix <nix@esperi.org.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Mark Jessee mused:
> > Thanks for the good info.  I tried LD_DEBUG=libs and it shows (exert):
> > trying file=/lib/tls/libpthread.so.0
> > trying file=/lib/libpthread.so
> >
> > So it seems to not like the contents of /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0.  I
> > think it *must* be the cpu because when I run it on my laptop (same
> > libraries, same gcc, same kernel) it works fine and uses NPTL.  The
> > cpu is the only thing that is different!
>
> How did you configure it? If you configured the copy in /lib/tls with
> something like --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu, I'd expect it to get skipped on
> i386 (or to crash: I'll admit that having an ld-linux.so.2 built for one
> submodel of CPU trying to load a glibc built for another submodel is
> probably... outside design parameters).
>
> (What does eu-readelf say about the two libraries? Any significant
> differences?)
>
> --
> `Y'know, London's nice at this time of year. If you like your cities
>  freezing cold and full of surly gits.' --- David Damerell

I didn't build any libraries at all, just copied them from my host
distribution to the target.  Same architecture so no cross compiler
should be required.  Everything works fine in this respect except for
libpthread.so.0.  I've got to admit its confusing to have two files of
the same name in different locations in /lib.  This *should* work as
all the diagnostic tools report 80386 compatibility.  Here is the
output from eu-readelf...

[mark@localhost log]$ eu-readelf -n /lib/libpthread.so.0

Note segment of 32 bytes at offset 0x154:
  Owner          Data size  Type
  GNU                   16  VERSION
    OS: Linux, ABI: 2.2.5
[mark@localhost log]$ eu-readelf -n /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0

Note segment of 32 bytes at offset 0x154:
  Owner          Data size  Type
  GNU                   16  VERSION
    OS: Linux, ABI: 2.4.25

I'm using kernel 2.6.11, so should be no problems here.