malloc() wastes 50%...

I'm using the mtrace tool at:

http://www.dent.med.uni-muenchen.de/~wmglo/malloc-slides.html

A little probing and I find that the memory allocator in glibc seems to
be wasting ... a lot of memory.  Thunderbird is giving me numbers where
it starts up, loads, and wastes 20%; then after hitting a few messages
here and there grows to around 50% waste.  Similar patterns are seen in
other places; but the malloc-trace.so preload library tends to corrupt
the output file and trace-test refuses to produce statistics.

Does anyone have any way for me to get more useful numbers?  I'd love to
probe deeper into this, particularly get stats on Firefox, gnome
(nautilus, metacity, and evolution), gaim (which refuses to start with
mtrace), and rhythmbox (my media player).

--
John Moser <john.r.moser@gmail.com>