Re: glibc segfault on "special" long double values is _ok_!?

On Fri, 2007-06-08 11:54:17 +0100, James Youngman <jay@gnu.org> wrote:
> On 6/8/07, Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de> wrote:
> > hexdump (&my_long_double, sizeof my_long_double());
> > kill (getpid (), SIGABRT);
>
> or just call abort() which is designed for the purpose.
>
> > That way, you get a nice core dump and can call GDB with it. With
> > "clean" floats, just use GDB's "print" to print it (or even call
> > printf() with it.)
>
> If printf fails on the offending bit pattern, presumably that is not
> going to help.

It does!  You've got the core file, so you have a second (and
third...) try to examine the offending bit pattern with different
methods.

> > You can fully control your cluster, but in the case discussed here,
> > the data was injected by a non-controlled source.
>
> No item of hardware is fully under control either.  Push enough bits
> through it, some will get corrupted.  As I said in the email to which
> you are replying, this happens in practice, for real.

Even for those cases: a loud crash is something that can be easily
debugged.

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw@lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:                 Gib Dein Bestes. Dann Ãbertriff Dich selbst!