[doc] DSO HOWTO comments

Hallo, Ulrich Drepper. Cheers, developers.

Below is list of possible corrections. But first let me address
published way of generating forever const chat arrays
(partially sent privately on Sat Jun 16 11:35:41 2007)

== First turn ==

Let me propose another way of static read-only string generation.

Original C code in paper isn't only obfuscated, because you are
asking to look at preprocessor output, but doesn't compile. This is
example of course, but to compile that, one must do more magic. I did
enum generation for ERRX values, with yet another include. This also
isn't optimal, 4xfile access, from program compilation POV.

Yet after having it compiled, one may find, that there's no range
checking at all, thus that access function will easily lead to
`catastrophe'. And IMHO this isn't good for example code in such
comprehensive paper as yours.

Please, let me share with my view on that. Thanks.

Optimization step done is, that there're ERRX values as offset constants.
It's just to have efficient code size. The main point is that, while
glibc developers are very keen C, m4, makefile, sed gurus, yet that
published things are inefficient at all, while talk is about efficiency
and optimization. I've used only shell as you probably will see.

There's also a response from bzip2 author regarding such kind of
optimization.
____

== Builder (processing of input): filename=Makefile ==
__
tst-static-const: static_const_strings.c err_strings.h
	gcc -pipe -Wall -o $@ $<

err_strings.h: strerrors.h
	cat $< | sh static_const_strings.sh >$@

== Test: filename="static_const_strings.c" ==
__
#include "err_strings.h"
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
	puts(errstr(ERR_ONE));
	puts(errstr(ERR_3));
	puts(errstr(LAST));
	puts(errstr(TWO));

	/* bad range/corner cases */
	puts(errstr(777));
	puts(errstr(0));
	puts(errstr(-1));

	return 0;
}

== Input: filename="strerrors.h" ==
__
_S(NO_MESSAGE, "wrong error message index")
_S(ERR_ONE, "error  one")
_S(TWO, "two")
_S(ERR_3, "3 and last")

== Input processor: filename="static_const_strings.sh"
__
#!/bin/sh -e
#
make_start() {
    str="$@" ; idx="${str#*(}" ; n=0
    idx="${idx%%,*}" ; str="${str#*\"}" ; str="${str%\"*}"
    printf '/* automaticly generated read only string array */
#define %s	(0U)
static const char err_strings[] =' "$idx"
}
make_element() {
    nstr="$@" ; idx="${nstr#*(}" ; n=$(($n + ${#str} + 1))
    idx="${idx%%,*}" ; nstr="${nstr#*\"}" ; newstr="${nstr%\"*}"
    printf '
"%s\\0"
#define %s	(%sU)' "$str" "$idx" "$n"
    str="$newstr"