Re: project branches in the glibc git repository

> I'm concerned about the machine and the traffic and possibly about
> triggering problems with the repository because more people to more
> strange things.

The glibc repository has far less traffic and far fewer users than many
others on sourceware.  I don't think there is any reason to worry about load.

As I said, we will give access only to individuals we trust not to louse up
the repository.  Moreover, a very tiny number of people ("branch name space
owners") will be personally responsible for the acts of others they endorse.
As I'm the person endorsing the whole convention to delegate responsibility,
you can consider me personally responsible for any bad things done to the
repository.

I believe this policy will encourage more contributions and will encourage
contributors to collectively develop ways to collaborate that wind up being
more efficient and smooth for core maintainers and to everyone's benefit.
I don't care whether positive perceptions or sentiments among contributors
are based on rational technical analysis of what does or doesn't really
matter in the project infrastructure, or are purely irrational.

It's very difficult to see how this could ever do irreparable harm even in
the worst case.  Please don't stand in the way of minor matters the rest of
the community wants to improve collaboration, on vague grounds of
conservatism or a default of mistrust.  If problems really do arise, we can
always change the plan.

Thanks,
Roland