String routines for ARM and licensing

Hi there.  My name is Michael Hope, and I'm the technical lead for the
ARM-focused Linaro Toolchain Working Group.  We're planning on writing
ARM Cortex-A optimised versions of memcpy, strcpy, and other string
functions.  Some quick benchmarks[1] show a 2x improvement over stock
glibc so there's a decent gain to be had.

We'd like to make these functions available for anyone such as glibc,
Newlib, bionic and perhaps even the Linux kernel to use.  The tricky
thing is the licensing, with one approach being to use a GPL
compatible license such as the MIT/X11 License.  I understand that
glibc prefers new code to be under the LGPL, but the string routines
are a bit unusual as they're small, standalone, and universally
applicable.

What would you recommend from a glibc licensing and copyright
assignment point of view?

-- Michael

[1] https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/ToolChain/Benchmarks/InitialMemcpy