Re: [Libtirpc-devel] Fwd: Re: proposed patch to rpcbind to providefiner-grained security controls than offered by the -i option

On 12/14/2010 11:26 AM, Thomas Schwinge wrote:
> Hallo!
>
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:45:55PM -0500, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 17:52, Steve Dickson <SteveD@redhat.com> wrote:
>>> This sounds very reasonable... What is the next step?
>>
>> First, the Hurd people have to say what they want to do.  If they go
>> along then no specialization is needed.
>
> To clarify: did you have anything specific in mind?  I don't know why we
> would want to diverge?  (There is nothing Hurd or Mach-specific in the
> SUN RPC code, unless I'm totally confused?)
We, the NFS community, no longer need or used the SUN RPC code
in glibc. We needed IPv6 support so we built and now support our
own RPC library, called libtirpc.

So as not to confuse people that are moving legacy apps to
Linux: see http://marc.info/?l=linux-nfs&m=129200137524049&w=2
we would like you to deprecate your old header files
in /usr/include/rpc and point people to the new header
files in /usr/include/tirpc.

Basically we would be taking over all RPC library support...
Something, I believe, you guys have wanted for a long time...

steved.