Re: X32 psABI status update

On Monday, March 21, 2011 01:35:35 H.J. Lu wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 10:08 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:

> >> The idea is in most cases, you only need to check __x86_64__ since x32
> >> and x86-64 are very close.  In some cases, x32 is very different from
> >> x86_64, like assembly codes on long and pointer, you can check
> >> __x86_64__ and __LP64__. In glibc, I used a different approach by using
> >> macros REG_RAX, .., MOV_LP, ADD_LP, SUB_LP and CMP_LP in assembly
> >> codes.
> >
> > while i agree with you in general that this is how people should be doing
> > things, in practice i often see people fishing around.  education only
> > goes so far, so if there was an __x32__ define, i feel like people are
> > more likely to get it right than wrong.
> >
> > i dont have any use cases off the top of my head, but i wouldnt be
> > surprised if the heavy inline assembly people (like the multimedia peeps
> > e.g. libav) approached it this way.  rather than google for
> > documentation, look at the cpp output between -m64 and -mx32 and see
> > what sticks out.  "__x32__" would certainly do that.
>
> My point is __x86_64__ version should work for both 64bit and x32. There
> should no need for a separate x32 version.

yes, and my point is that people often reach for cpp defines rather than
figure out how to do it right.

i'm not saying that __x32__ should be defined in place of __x86_64__, just
that when -mx32 is used, __x32__ is additionally defined.  simply as an
example, what i'm referring to could be accomplished by adding this to the
*cpp specs:
	%{mx32:-D__x32__=1}
-mike