Re: PATCH: Malloc fails if MALLOC_ALIGNMENT > 2 * SIZE_SZ

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> As is, it will break Emacs on PPC -mlong-double-128.  My preference

And as a reminder for those who didn't follow the previous thread, in the
existing state arbitrary code mallocing datastructures containing long
double may be *quietly* broken (AltiVec loads and stores used at runtime,
expecting 16-byte alignment, on data that is only 8-byte aligned - these
don't trap, the documented semantics are to quietly ignore the low bits of
the address).  As I understand, the Emacs breakage is it least immediately
obviously visible rather than quiet.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com