Re: ld.so's LD_LIBRARY_PATH/LD_PRELOAD in mixed 32bit and 64bit environment

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 9:03 PM, Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> wrote:
> Note that glibc doesn't include man pages, those are in the man-pages
> package, so talking here about the man page wording isn't interesting.

I thought that first we look at it here then I go over to man-pages
project to merge.

> And $LIB is certainly expanded even in LD_PRELOAD, just try
> strace -E LD_PRELOAD='/$LIB/libfoo.so' /bin/echo
> and you'll see it attempts to open /lib64/libfoo.so (or /lib/libfoo.so).

Right. I did a mistake while testing it. This is great!

> Also note that $LIB doesn't expand only to lib or lib64, but to whatever
> multilib lib directory the current architecture uses (e.g. mips uses more
> than two, H.J.'s -mx32 uses libx32 I think, etc.).

OK, I will add this note.
It would have been great to have parameter to ld.so something like
--variables to print the PLATFORM and LIB... Not that important.

The important part is that functionality exists.
I think also important people will know about this.

I will work with man-pages project to add these notes.

Thank you all,
Alon.