Re: quicksort

On Tuesday 29 November 2011 04:31:55 Carsten Hey wrote:
> * Mike Frysinger [2011-11-28 22:45 -0500]:
> > On Monday 28 November 2011 19:00:48 Carsten Hey wrote:
> > > Everything in this patches that would be copyrightable by me (if
> > > there is anything at all) is licensed under the terms of the WTFPL
> > > 2.0 [3].
> >
> > unfortunately, that's not acceptable.  if you want code merged into
> > glibc, it has to have the copyright assigned to the FSF.
>
> The code has been merged/ported from a quicksort I wrote.  I'm not going
> to restrict myself on how I will be able to use this original code in
> future.

i don't think they'd require you to assign all past/future personal work, just
the code you want to get added to glibc.

> As licensing it under the terms of CC zero or similar apparently
> wouldn't change the situation, I suggest to cherry pick the changes that
> are not copyrightable.  For example, the first commit (the correct
> placing of the pivot element) doesn't seem to be copyrightable.

sorry, but i don't think that would be acceptable.  the only way to get merged
with glibc would be to file papers with the FSF assigning copyright for the
work you're contributing.

(note: i don't represent the FSF or hold their opinions on copyright
assignment, i'm just informing you of their policies; i.e. don't shoot the
messenger)
-mike