Re: Copyright year ranges

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:

>    > > There were releases in 1991 too.
>    >
>    > What do we think of adding something like this to the glibc/README?
>
>    I don't think this belongs in README.  The information in README is for
>    people using / building glibc, not for developers; information about
>    practices in development would better go on the wiki.
>
> The recommended practise from the GNU maintainer guide is to put this
> information in the README though.

That recommended (required) practice is for the one sentence about ranges
that is already there.  The reasoning about what years are copyrightable
years for glibc, and so the information for developers about when we can
collapse to a range when updating a list of copyright years, is something
purely for developers; that's what I'm saying should go on the wiki.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com