Re: Get rid of superfluous assignments

On 03/07/2012 05:36 AM, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> unless someone knows their
> mailer is OK in that regard it ends up being better to
> have the patch in an attachment in order to apply it
> cleanly.

It might be useful to have suggestions for email format
in the wiki, along with instructions about how to configure
common email clients accordingly.

My own feeling is that it's not too much to ask
repeat contributors (politely of course) to configure their
client so that the maximum number of people can read their
email usefully.  Traditional plain-text is still a good
format for patches that everyone can read and that can be
processed easily.

If we open the door to the "modern MUAs can handle
it" argument, we'll have to deal with email conforming to
Internet RFC 6532, which came out a couple of weeks ago.
RFC 6532 changes the way email headers are encoded
(including some headers in attachments).  Many modern MUAs
can handle RFC 6532, but that doesn't mean they all do.
And there will eventually be an RFC 8532 or whatever....

The usual Internet advice applies here: be strict about what
you send and generous about what you receive.  Senders of
patches should try to stick to a vanilla format.  Recipients
should also try to accommodate senders who can't do that due
to poorly-configured software; part of this accommodation
can include polite requests to use a vanilla format.