Re: PATCH [3/n]: Add __snseconds_t and __SNSECONDS_T_TYPE

On 03/16/2012 08:49 AM, H.J. Lu wrote:
> I'd prefer to change POSIX. This isn't the only place where x32 isn't
> 100% compatible with POSIX.

If this approach is taken, the compatibility issues with tv_nsec,
blksize_t, and suseconds_t should be documented in the glibc manual,
in areas where programmers using the interfaces are likely to find
out about the problem.  Could you propose a patch to do that?

It should be possible to change POSIX at some point, once the POSIX folks
decide that C90 compatibility is no longer an issue.  If POSIX
conformance is not a goal of x32, then this is not an urgent matter --
which is probably just as well, as I think they still worry about C90.

In the meantime, I guess applications will just have to know not to take
the address of a tv_nsec member.  I just now added a note
about this in the Gnulib portability manual, where it talks about
glitches on systems that don't conform to POSIX:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/commit/?id=47834c92f8122f4ba5e6fca5199a4611425bfe69