Re: conformtest tampering with $HOME

Hi!

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 15:29:36 -0400, Carlos O'Donell <carlos@systemhalted.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Thomas Schwinge
> <thomas@codesourcery.com> wrote:
> > Why would in $HOME be a better place for storing temporary files than /tmp?
> > (And why that is described as a bug fix?) ÂSurely storing files directly
> > in /tmp is not optimal either, but several glibc tests act this way (and
> > should be fixed). ÂAnyway, OK to commit the following patch? ÂWith it,
> > things look more comforting, compared to pristine glibc sources:
>
> I don't think we should be touching anything outside of the build directory.

I might subscribe to that (even though $TMPDIR or /tmp wouldn't be
uncommon, too).

> > Â Â Â ÂDon't tamper with $HOME.
> >
> > Â Â Â Â* conform/conformtest.pl: Handle --tmpdir argument, defaulting to /tmp.
> > Â Â Â Â* conform/run-conformtest.sh: Pass --tmpdir argument when invoking
> > Â Â Â Âconformtest.pl
>
> We should default to TMPDIR if set (SuSv), otherwise /tmp

As I suggested, this is a different patch, which would touch all of glibc
that is using temporary files.

> and the
> subdirectory used should be unique to allow for multiple simultaneous
> testsuite runs on the same machine (which happens often in Mentor's
> build farm).

As you can guess I'm well aware of that :-).  That's why my patch moves
the scratch directory into the build directory.

GrÃÃe,
 Thomas