Re: usefulness of changelog files

On 04/02/2012 02:30 PM, David Miller wrote:
From: Mike Frysinger<vapier@gentoo.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 14:20:51 -0400

am i the only one that finds no value in the dedicated ChangeLog files
?  other large projects (such as Linux) utilize only git to track
history and seem to have no problem here.

I personally see zero value in ChangeLog's and I hope they die off sooner rather than later. They are a burdon and take up developer time duplicating information contained already in the commit itself.
I like with some projects are doing, specifically they extract the commit messages to generate a ChangeLog.

I still look at ChangeLogs and find them useful; however, I hate the fact that writing ChangeLogs makes merging nearly always generate a conflict. Generating them from the VCS at release time seems ideal to me.

Auto-generating them from the VCS does require them to be in a standardized form.

jeff