Re: Concensus-based community-driven development.

On 04/04/2012 08:42 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
I've adjusted the wiki to indicate that
prime mover is consensus. Patches should
be posted to libc-alpha, reviewed, discussed,
and then committed.

The machine maintainers are people who have
assumed a role of leadership when it comes
to the code for the machine they are maintaining.

http://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/MAINTAINERS#Maintainers_for_libc_and_ports_add-on

Comments?

Thanks a lot for starting this discussion. I have - like Pasky in his email - a couple of questions:
* What patch will be committed without review? E.g. should a machine maintainer commit directly? Should we have - like gcc has - a role that states that obvious patches are fine?

* What does consensus mean? If somebody sends a patch, I review it and ack it and nobody complains in say 24 hours - did we reach consensus? Or can it get committed directly? Whose positive review counts?

* There are several patches on the mailing list where people ask for review and nothing happens - including the x86-64 memcpy patch that I send. What happens if nobody reviews a patch?

I agree that every patch (with the exception of regeneration of e.g. configure files) should be send to the list before committing it.

I also agree with Pasky that we should be liberal in some places (note: We should not be too liberal in adding new functions ;) to avoid bottlenecks. There are very few active people and thus we should not overload them,

Andreas