Re: State of libc-locale?

The libc-locales list was originally created because there was a community
of people interested in the contents of localedata largely separate from
the community of people who are interested in the libc code itself.
Maintaining localedata sources and maintaining libc code are very different
things, with different people likely to be the best experts on each.  It's
much more like maintaining translations than it is like maintaining code.

I for one have no interest in localedata details.  There are enough other
things going by on libc-alpha that I don't care about either that it's no
great burden for me to ignoring the localedata issues too.  But for the
people who are in fact interested in localedata contents and not in code,
I'm not sure the converse would be true.

If the community on libc-locales has dwindled away so that there is nobody
there, then obviously the list serves no purpose.  But if there is a
community of localedata maintainers or we can cultivate one, then it makes
just as much sense today to do it separately from overall libc maintenance
as it did before.

Thanks,
Roland