Re: Concensus-based community-driven development.

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> Please adjust the Consensus page with your comments.

I've added my list of changes I consider obvious - and marked the list
nonexhaustive.  We will I expect need to expand the list over time as
people find more cases of obvious fixes that aren't listed (and possibly
clarify some items if people find cases of them that they don't think are
obvious after all).

> >> In general I think you should seek out two other people to review any
> >> non-trivial patches.
> >
> > I think two other people is overkill for the vast majority of patches; one
> > should be enough unless it seems there is likely to be some controversy
> > (that first reviewer is always free to say that they'd like to see other
> > opinions, if they don't think their review should be enough to put the
> > patch in on its own, but the default should be one review is enough). ?Of
> > course if we can get subsystem maintainers covering most/all of libc
> > (which I think we should have ... we should list a set of areas covering
> > libc, and try to find people for them), that one review can be from
> > someone confident of their expertise in the code; someone reviewing a
> > patch in an area where they lack more specific expertise may be more
> > likely to call for other opinions.
>
> Could you adjust the Consensus page accordingly?
>
> That way after you make your adjustments we can all go read the text
> and continue commenting.

I have changed what's now the "Other Changes" section in line with my
views, with a list of particular cases where it seems appropriate to allow
longer for more people to consider a patch.

(For my point about getting more subsystem maintainers I think we need
someone to list areas, possibly starting with the Bugzilla components
other than "libc" and "ports" as an indicative set of subsystems, and
propose maintainers for them.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com