Re: UCS data encoding in localedata

Petr Baudis wrote:
Hi!

   Does anyone know the technical reason for using the explicit<U0000>
UCS encoding in localedata instead of some sane approach like UTF8
encoded data? I can think of only historical reasons due to the lack
of support in tools (OS, editors, VCS, ...) in the past, however I
believe that by now, using UTF8 should be fairly safe.
locale -k CATEGORY_LIST make them more readable.

   For me, even with the show-ucs-data tool, deadling with localedata
files is quite onerous.  Can anyone share any other tricks they use
when dealing with localedata?  Would there be any resistance to moving
to UTF8?

Switch of locale data to UTF-* could be fine, but this will not resolve issue with function nl_langinfo.

   P.S.: It is not like I would start working on this tomorrow. However,
I have wondered about this long enough to ask. :-)

Roumen