Re: BZ#6895: Describe DT_LNK

On 04/08/2012 10:01 AM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> I think that DT_WHT should not be seen by userland apps and filtered
> out by readdir. In that case, let's not document it. What do you
> think of removing it from dirent.h?

I'm by no means an expert on this, but DT_WHT is in FreeBSD's dirent.h
and I expect this sort of thing is visible by userland apps on
FreeBSD.  For example, "ls -l" will list whiteout entries in some
cases -- at any rate DT_WHT-using code to do that is in GNU coreutils,
though it's not clear to me that it's ever triggered on non-BSD
systems.

My guess (and this is just a guess) is that whiteouts are visible if
file systems are mounted in certain ways.