Re: Release timelines: 2.15.1 and 2.16

On 04/13/2012 09:28 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
Community,

The following is my opinion on release timelines for
glibc.

I think our current practice of time-based releases
is the right process for a conservative community
that doesn't frequently add new features.

As the 2.15 release branch maintainer I'm aiming for
2.15.1 release to be out the end of April.

I want to thank Joseph Myers for keeping me focused
by asking me every day "When is 2.15 coming out?"

I am volunteering to maintain 2.16 release branch,
but I'd be happy to help out anyone else who would
like to do the work and follow the documented process
we have up on the wiki.

The 2.16 release should continue to be coordinated
with the Fedora release and that appears to be
sometime in June.

In the past Fedora was following git head and testing it heavily - and thus make a release for Fedora was a win-win for both Fedora and glibc. I think Fedora is not doing this anymore, so we're not bound here anymore.

Releasing 2.16 in June would mean Fedora would get it at the beginning of its development phase with Fedora 17 getting released end of May (see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/17/Schedule)

I'm fine with half-yearly releases and I'm not objecting to tie it with a Fedora release - just want to point out that the situation has changed.

In summary:

* 2.15.1 - ~End of april.

Please plan in some time for testing, let's commit, test for a week and then release. Having 2.15.1 soon would be great for openSUSE, I'm having far too many patches on our glibc.

* 2.16 - Coordinated with Fedora release, so ~June.

If someone from Red Hat could respond regarding the
Fedora timelines that would be great.

Comments? Discussions? Thoughts?

Andreas -- Andreas Jaeger aj@{suse.com,opensuse.org} Twitter/Identica: jaegerandi SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany GF: Jeff Hawn,Jennifer Guild,Felix Imendörffer,HRB16746 (AG Nürnberg) GPG fingerprint = 93A3 365E CE47 B889 DF7F FED1 389A 563C C272 A126