Re: Release timelines: 2.15.1 and 2.16

On 04/13/2012 01:36 PM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

In the past Fedora was following git head and testing it heavily - and thus make a release for Fedora was a win-win for both Fedora and glibc. I think Fedora is not doing this anymore, so we're not bound here anymore.
Not exactly :( Merges were going from upstream GIT into the Fedora beta trees, which caused *major* headaches. At the same time merges from GIT to Fedora Rawhide were not occurring. It was the worst of both worlds.

In the new world order (F17 and beyond), we're going to be locking down glibc from major changes earlier in the development cycle. It's not formalized, but I'd expect to stop doing major glibc changes for any particular Fedora release once that release branches.

Merges from upstream GIT to Fedora Rawhide should occur more rapidly than they are right now. It's a known problem, but hasn't bubbled up far enough yet.

Jeff