Re: Release timelines: 2.15.1 and 2.16

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.com> wrote:
> On 04/13/2012 09:48 PM, Jeff Law wrote:
>>
>> On 04/13/2012 01:36 PM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
>>>

>>> In the past Fedora was following git head and testing it heavily - and
>>> thus make a release for Fedora was a win-win for both Fedora and glibc.
>>> I think Fedora is not doing this anymore, so we're not bound here
>>> anymore.
>>
>> Not exactly :( Merges were going from upstream GIT into the Fedora beta
>> trees, which caused *major* headaches. At the same time merges from GIT
>> to Fedora Rawhide were not occurring. It was the worst of both worlds.
>

> ;-(
>

>> In the new world order (F17 and beyond), we're going to be locking down
>> glibc from major changes earlier in the development cycle. It's not
>> formalized, but I'd expect to stop doing major glibc changes for any
>> particular Fedora release once that release branches.
>

> So, a glibc major release at the *beginning* of the Fedora 17 release cycle
> with a minor release more at the end, would be perfect for you? This means
> the minor release would benefit from the Fedora testing, correct?

Fedora 17 is already at Beta (it will release next week).  Do you mean F18?

>> Merges from upstream GIT to Fedora Rawhide should occur more rapidly
>> than they are right now. It's a known problem, but hasn't bubbled up far
>> enough yet.
>

> Please help me to understand this a bit better:
> Would have glibc git head in Rawhide and the latest glibc release in Fedora?
> I thought Rawhide was closer to Fedora...

Rawhide is Fedora.  It is simply the main development branch of Fedora.  Think
"as bleeding edge as you can get in Fedora".  Our release branches (e.g. F16,
F17, F18) all were rawhide at some point and then branched off to stabilize.
Right now, rawhide is what will become F18 eventually.

josh