Re: Release timelines: 2.15.1 and 2.16

On 04/13/2012 02:33 PM, Roland McGrath wrote:

Jeff is now the primary owner (Andreas Schwab was last I knew).
Unless the process has changed, all the Fedora work is done in the
fedora/* branches on sourceware and the Fedora pkgs stuff is generated
from there, so it should be easy for everybody to see how it goes.
No longer true. Let's just say the handoff from Andreas to myself was far from ideal. These days glibc is handled just like any other Fedora package. The fedora branches on sourceware aren't actively being used.

(I set up that process with Jakub around the time we first switched
libc to git and I wrote the scripts, but I haven't paid attention to
any later changes.)
It may make sense to resurrect this stuff; at the least it might make merging patches back and forth easier. It's been on my list of things to look at.

It was never very clear to me (even when I was somewhat intimately
involved) which of the Fedora schedule milestones did or should correspond
to our libc release process.  It would be great to have that clarified,
formalized, and stated on some glibc and Fedora wiki pages.
Well, I haven't owned glibc for Fedora for terribly long; however, it seems to me that Fedora ought to be picking up whatever the current official release is at the time Fedora branches for its next release. If a release is close (as was the case for glibc-2.15), then Fedora can track the glibc release branch as necessary.

jeff