Re: PATCH: Check __ILP32__ instead of __LP64__

On 04/14/2012 10:58 AM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> We require that glibc is compiled by GCC, so what other compiler do you have in mind

I think H.J. is worried about the case where the code is
in user-visible headers, so compilers other than GCC
can be involved; see:

http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2012-04/msg00486.html

We have to solve that case anyway, and
H.J. is modifying the x32 specification so that compilers
for x32 must #define __ILP32__.  Since that change is
being made anyway, Roland thought it was more consistent for
the glibc code to use __ILP32__ consistently in place of
!__LP64__; see:

http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2012-04/msg00488.html

> we can also add __LP64__ to the psABI of x86-64,

That might also be a good idea, for sanity's sake.  However,
that will require that all x86-64 compilers change, no?  Even
those that merely read glibc headers to compile user code.
So it will take longer to percolate through the ecosystem
than the x32 change will, as x32 is still being developed.