Re: Clearify running testsuite as part of patch submission

On Tuesday, April 17, 2012 15:34:36 Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 7:47 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.com> wrote:
> > Marek and myself just discussed about the testsuite on IRC and I've
> > learned about the "xcheck" make target.
> >
> > I suggest that the "running the testsuite with a patch" gets clarified
> > as: Run the whole testsuite with make "xcheck". Also, check-abi
> > should be run in any case, thus you need to configure with
> > --enable-check-abi.
> >
> > So, I suggest that we add to the wiki page
> > http://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Contribution%20checklist in section
> > "Testing" something like:
> >
> > Configure with --enable-check-abi and run the whole testsuite with
> > "make xcheck".
> >
> > Ok?
>
> I agree with pedro's comment.
>
> I also like to do additional testing, including abi breakage testing.
>
> I would like to see a `make check' that does exactly what we want.

So, a first step would be to make check-abi run by default - unless you
configure with --enable-check-abi=no. I can send a patch for that if we all
agree...

But what should we do with the tests that are part of make xcheck and not
of make check?

> So while I don't disagree with your proposal, I think we can do better
> to make sure we follow it :-)

I think we share the same goal - better test coverage ;)

Andreas