Re: Bugs resolved in code but not closed

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Siddhesh Poyarekar
> <siddhesh.poyarekar@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I was going through some bug reports in the bz and found that there
> > are some reports that have already been resolved with code changes but
> > the bug reports themselves have not been closed. Should we be updating
> > NEWS for all bugs that we close as resolved?
>
> Yes.
>
> I want to keep this policy as simple as possible.
>
> If you verify it was *actually* fixed, and then mark the BZ closed,
> then you should be adding it to NEWS if it hasn't already been added
> (even if the commit was not done in this release cycle).

I don't think adding to NEWS for the current cycle is appropriate in such
a case.  Adding where it's added to ChangeLog, yes, so that additions to
the two places go together.  But if you want to add to NEWS a bug fixed in
a previous release (so aren't changing anything other than NEWS), it
should go in the NEWS section for that previous release.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com