Re: What is glibc-ports?

> I noted "none of this has a particularly high priority".  I don't think
> any merge of ports back into the libc repository is high priority either.

Agreed.

> * Moving libc code to use sysdeps directories for cases using architecture
> conditionals in generic code.

Agreed.

> * Likewise (use sysdeps instead of a single directory containing files
> named after target triplets / ABI names), for files in scripts/data/
> (where add-ons use a data/ directory in the add-on).

Agreed.

> * Likewise, for abilist/ data.

Agreed.

> * Review individual files in sysdeps directories such as sysdeps/unix/ to
> see if they are still used anywhere, and if so, where.  I don't think
> anything will use mkdir.c or rmdir.c in that directory (implementations
> that call "mkdir" and "rmdir" programs - for the old sort of Unix where
> those were privileged programs that manipulated filesystem structures
> directly, predating mkdir and rmdir syscalls), for example, and the
> recently discussed sysdeps/unix/getppid.S should also be unused.  Each
> file can be considered, and where unused removed, individually.

Agreed.  For anyone tackling this, please take note of "individually"!
That is, post a patch removing one or two (related) files at a time,
rather than individually examining several files and posting a large patch.

A caveat is that some of the unused sysdeps/generic and sysdeps/posix files
exist intentionally to serve as placeholders, documentation, and starting
points for new ports.  (The same may be true of some in other directories.)
IMHO those should not be removed even if there is no extant configuration
that builds them.

Thanks,
Roland