Re: stackable abilist files

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012, Mike Frysinger wrote:

> we could have the abilist code leverage shlib-versions by default since that's
> what the values should be in the first place instead of duplicating that base
> symbol name in both places.  that should address the majority of symbol
> duplication information (functions with symbol version bases).

That would mean that check-abi wouldn't detect problems relating to
changes to shlib-versions files.  I don't think it's a good idea to be too
clever here.

libstdc++ for example just has a single >200kB file for each target (15
such files), giving the expected symbols and versions.  I think that's a
sensible approach for foolproof testing that the set of symbols and
versions for each supported system has no unexpected changes.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com