Re: apply gnulib test suite to glibc

On 04/22/2012 03:37 AM, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> Paul Eggert made a start with a mktime patch series, but the approved
> changes don't seem to have been committed yet (and then the unreviewed
> ones should be reposted in a new patch series to attempt to get consensus
> on them).

Yes, that effort got bogged down: Roland approved a few of the
patches (the most trivial ones) and asked me to commit them,
and I didn't have permission, and my first attempt to get my keys
fixed didn't work, and the second attempt may have worked but at
that point I had other stuff to do that was both more pleasant
and higher priority.  However, I'll try to raise the priority
of mktime and start the ball rolling again within a week.

The slightly bigger picture, though, is that from my point of view
this has been too much gruntwork for one set of patches for one file.
I'm the primary author of mktime.c and know it better than
anyone else, I checked these fixes carefully, and the fixes have been
in widespread use (via gnulib) on many platforms for years.  Putting in
these changes should be a slam-dunk, but that hasn't happened.

If this is what's needed to do a best-case merge like mktime.c I shudder
to think how much bureaucratic effort will be needed for other parts
of gnulib that should be merged into libc.  It's a daunting prospect.
It shouldn't be that daunting.