Re: Cross-rpcgen patch, version 4

> The rationale for not including -c is that there is exactly one place
> right now that has a use for it with -c (cross-rpcgen) and exactly one
> that has a use for it without -c ($(native-compile)), so the above
> (whatever the name) seems to be the limit of useful sharing between those
> two cases.

I understand.  But the point of calling it build-compile-command.c is to
have a clear parallel with the existing compile-command.c, so if you're
going to have a subtle but crucial non-parallelism then it defeats the
whole purpose.

The long-run answer is probably that we should have some more first-class
machinery for build-compiled stuff rather than just the ad hoc stuff.  For
the trivial cases we have today where native-compile is adequate, it was
easy enough to do it ad hoc and so we never bothered with anything else.
With rpcgen and the prospect of other such things, it may be worth the
trouble now.

If you find that prospect daunting, I can help write the makefile magic.
We should start by figuring out what interface we want from the individual
makefiles, probably something analogous either to others or to extra-libs.

> I wondered about automatic dependency generation, since version 3 of the
> patch included $(compile-mkdep-flags), but concluded that there was
> nothing that would actually cause the dependency files generated by that
> to be included by make, so no actual point in generating them.  (And I
> didn't see any obvious pattern for saying that something is an ad hoc .o
> file whose dependency files should be included by make - that is, any
> obvious variable that the patch was missing adding $(cross-rpcgen-objs)
> to.)

There's extra-objs.  That has other meanings too, though off hand none of
those look like they would be a problem.  It's also easy enough to add
another variable that is treated similarly in setting +depfiles.

Thanks,
Roland