Re: Wishlist: declarations suitable for post mortem debugging

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012, Paul Pluzhnikov wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 2:49 AM, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:

> > So I would strongly suggest that functions that are _explicitly_
> > intended to dump core don't get marked as "__noreturn__". ?This seems

The noreturn attributes are needed for the compiler to know the control
flow when compiling the caller and avoid lots of spurious warnings from
thinking control flow can continue past a call to such a function.  I
think the correct change would be to GCC, to reduce the default
optimizations around calls to noreturn functions.  Note that a problem
with such an optimization affecting backtraces from abort on ARM was fixed
by <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2009-11/msg01234.html>.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com