Re: Comments on chapter 2 of FAQ - "Installation and configurationissues"

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> Here's the table of contents with my comments on what to do with these
> items. I suggest to remove everything for ancient versions
> (libc5->glibc2 move, glibc 2.0/2.1/2.2):

I generally agree with these proposals.

> 2.15.	After installing glibc name resolving doesn't work properly.
>
> Not sure.

Remove, I think.  nsswitch.conf is still relevant, but this isn't a FAQ
now; it's effectively a libc5-upgrade question (people will now have a
good nsswitch.conf).

> 2.37.	When recompiling GCC, I get compilation errors in libstdc++.
>
> Remove.

However, it may be useful to have a similar new question regarding the
siginfo_t changes and libgcc build failures - existing GCC releases
(predating Thomas's patches) won't build with current glibc because of
that.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com