Re: Comments on chapter 4 of the FAQ "Miscellaneous"

On Saturday 28 April 2012 08:58:09 Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> 4. Miscellaneous
>
> 4.1.	After I changed configure.in I get `Autoconf version X.Y.
> 	or higher is required for this script'.  What can I do?
>
> Remove.
>
> 4.2.	When I try to compile code which uses IPv6 headers and
> 	definitions on my Linux 2.x.y system I am in trouble.
> 	Nothing seems to work.
>
> Remove.

OK

> 4.3.	When I set the timezone by setting the TZ environment variable
> 	to EST5EDT things go wrong since glibc computes the wrong time
> 	from this information.
>
> Remove - but we should add another entry and to point out the timezone
> information is not part of glibc anymore and should be installed from
> the tzdata sources.

i think having an entry for the TZ env var is still useful, but the answer to
this would need heavily rewriting.  basically tell people that glibc only
supports the POSIX standard for the TZ var (and link to it), and then suggest
they symlink /etc/localtime to the right place.

> 4.4.	What other sources of documentation about glibc are available?
>
> Replace with a pointer to the man-pages.

and a pointer to the manual since this FAQ will now be in the wiki ...

> 4.5.	The timezone string for Sydney/Australia is wrong since even when
> 	daylight saving time is in effect the timezone string is EST.
>
> Remove.
>
> 4.6.	I've build make 3.77 against glibc 2.1 and now make gets
> 	segmentation faults.
>
> Remove.
>
> 4.7.	Why do so many programs using math functions fail on my
AlphaStation?
> Remove.
>
> 4.8.	The conversion table for character set XX does not match with
> what I expect.
>
> Remove.
>
> 4.9.	How can I find out which version of glibc I am using in the moment?
>
> Keep.

SGTM

> 4.10.	Context switching with setcontext() does not work from within
> 	signal handlers.
>
> Is this description still correct? In that case keep.

hmm, these are fairly esoteric details.  if there was test code, i could
easily execute them on ia64/s390 to find out ...
-mike