Re: [Patch] BZ#14080: Fix daylight time change for the US

On 05/08/2012 09:27 PM, Roland McGrath wrote:
The original 1003.1-1988 had wording that the default when no rule was
specified was to follow US law.  In the 1003.1-2008 text I can find no
explanation whatsoever about what the behavior should be when no rule
is specified, though it still indicates that the rule portion of the
string is optional.  It would be good if someone could submit a
request for clarification to the standard so it's unambiguous.

But given the current lack of clear specification, sticking with the
1003.1-1988 wording seems right.  I don't have my copy of 1003.1-1988
handy, but my recollection is that it said something like "current
United States Federal law" (hence that original comment) and it's
reasonable to interpret that as current at the time the program is
being used as opposed to current at the time of the publication of the
specification.  So I think this change is fine.

Thanks, that explains the usage.

I found in 1003.1-2003 regarding tzset "If TZ is absent from the environment, implementation-dependent default time zone information is used. ". So, we could also use something completely different ;). I guess nobody uses this, so let's stick with my patch.

I'll commit the change later.

Andreas