Re: deprecation

On Tue, 22 May 2012, Roland McGrath wrote:

> For code that is used internally by other DSOs but not meant to be exported
> outside the glibc-controlled family of libraries (as is the true case with
> sunrpc), then we have to use GLIBC_PRIVATE exports.  Doing this
> conditionally is again new territory requiring new machinery.

GLIBC_PRIVATE symbols are also used by at least some of the miscellaneous
executables built by glibc, not just glibc libraries.  Some of this may be
by accident (errno is used from GLIBC_PRIVATE, because I think of the
definitions in include/errno.h).  Some looks more deliberate (the iconv
program using __gconv_get_alias_db).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com