Re: New Polish PO file for 'libc' (version 2.16-pre1)

On 7/9/2012 11:28 AM, Roland McGrath wrote:
>> I agree with Joseph here, backporting the .po files is an acceptable and
>> trivial backport.
>
> It is right now.  But we must take care not to give the false impression
> that this is generically OK for release branches.  It is always fine if and
> only if libc.pot has not diverged between the trunk and the branch.

I know just enough about .po and .pot files to be dangerous, but not enough
to fully understand this comment.

Does the .po file have to match the .pot file?
- In which case you can't install new .po files on trunk if you regenerate the .pot file.

Isn't the most important question: What .pot file is being used by the translation team?
- Which is currently the .pot file shipped with 2.16 as part of the release process.

Is this a more accurate statement?
~~~
You can backport the incoming .po files to any branch which contains a .pot file that
matches the .pot file currently used[1] by the translation team to generate the .po file?

[1] http://translationproject.org/domain/libc.html
~~~

Cheers,
Carlos.