Re: Use reserved port only when required for NIS look-ups

On 08/12/2012 03:16 AM, Kalle Olavi Niemitalo wrote:

That risk does not apply, because the proposed change does not affect the _destination_ port of the requests sent by the client. It makes the client send the requests from unprivileged _source_ ports unless the server is expected to restrict access by port.
I think that's a key point to remember. The unprivileged port is the client side source port. So from a security standpoint we're really just worried about information leakage. Spoofing and the like isn't an issue.

Perhaps an existing configuration file could be used.
In the client machines, there may already be an yp.conf file,
used by the ypbind daemon, which tells other client processes how
to contact the NIS server.  Perhaps the list of secured maps could
be added to yp.conf and then passed to the client processes via
RPC, like the NIS server address.
Given that the secured maps are a function of the server, it makes sense to provide both the server name and list of secured maps in the same configuration file.

I think some sensible defaults would be good

Jeff