Re: RFC: Should we link dynamic tests to use the newly built glibcdirctly

On Sat, 6 Oct 2012, H.J. Lu wrote:

> The current dynamic tests requires
>
> ../ld.so --library-path ...
>
> to run.  It isn't easy to run it under gdb.  Should we link dynamic tests
> to use the newly built glibc directly?  Like

Without regard to the specific proposed patch, I think the principle of
linking them to use the newly built glibc directly is good.

I think we should go further (in several incremental steps) and actually
have the testsuite run the tests directly (except for a few that verify
that running them via executing the dynamic linker itself does work),
since that's how people will generally use normal programs built with
glibc.  And I'd also have the testsuite setup install glibc into a staging
directory within the build directory, then link and run tests using that
copy in which the various files are located relative to each other in the
same way they would be after actual installation of glibc, to make the
test environment still closer to that for normal user programs linked with
glibc (and further simplify the command lines needed to build / run
programs).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com