Re: malloc probes for Systemtap

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Jeff Law <law@redhat.com> wrote:
>> I'm certainly all for higher-quality documentation for probes, and I
>> agree that those two .txt files are not stellar.  However, I really
>> do not like the idea of dead conditional sections in the manual
>> sources.  If you want to use Texinfo for this documentation (which
>> of course is a perfectly fine choice) then I think it should be in
>> separate files.
>
> Then let's go with this, probes in their own chapter or appendix.  If we
> logically group them, that would tend to argue that the prefix would follow
> from the group rather than the function where the probe lives.

(1) Probes in their own section in the manual.

The level of details we need for probes means we should be putting
them into a section in the manual and that such a section should have
an ABI disclaimer.

(2) Probe name should contain the group prefix.

Using the group prefix as the probe name, rather than the function,
allows for a clear distinction between the purpose of the probe and
it's position. The purpose of the probe is IMO what is important and
will dictate parameter selection.

(3) Still reviewing the changes.

I'm still reviewing Alexandre's changes, and I appreciate Jeff's quick summary.

Cheers,
Carlos.