Re: Speaking on malloc internals at FOSS.in

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 09:36:18AM +0530, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm doing a talk on malloc internals at a conference in Bangalore
> called FOSS.in[1].  I have a slide on future plans or concerns, which
> include the following right now:
>
> * A second look at dynamic thresholds since they worsen fragmentation
>   for some cases
> * A look at measuring resource usage in the light of multiple arenas
> * Smarter controls on arena creation, like looking at RLIMIT_AS while
>   deciding number of arenas.
>
> The above are tentative ideas based on my experience, which is not
> even close to being as extensive as most people on this list.  Hence,
> I'd really appreciate feedback on this and also any additional ideas
> that anyone may have.  I'll obviously give credit for the ideas on my
> slides.
>
> Thanks,
> Siddhesh
>
> [1] http://foss.in

I have several ideas based on results of profiling that I did done.

There are several interesting things, on my computer most mallocs
are 16byte and 32byte, 27.68% of time malloc  allocates at most 16 bytes.
Also most allocations happen in loop.

I need some time to format results in presentable way. How much time do
you have?

--

sounds like a Windows problem, try calling Microsoft support